Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I thought

I thought this small paragraph was good enough for a certain essay I am currently in the acts of completing for a class... Unfortunately it does not meet the requirements.

Lol...

Moving to Oakland during the time of the Obama election and the murder of Oscar Grant was overwhelming. Especially when one is not fully educated about the politics of justice, integrity, beneficence, and non-maleficence (to do good and to avoid evil). I had to learn about all these things through various experiences. Experiencing Oakland in a revolutionary way taught me the politics of the streets, justice, integrity, to do good and to avoid evil as a means to grow in truth. I surrounded myself around individuals who were about community and activism. Individuals who possessed the ability to uplift me as a woman to move forward in such an overwhelming time of revolution in Oakland. My mind was young, not yet capable to mentally handle the circumstances and situations occurring around me. I took it upon myself to grow; I became hungry and thirsty for knowledge. Knowledge which encompassed the passage of African American history. This is when I truly began to accept my right as an African American woman and made it an obligation to take up my journey as a vehicle to embrace Oakland’s rich history in Black America. From there I blossomed, blossomed into a woman who was highly capable of not only being in the company of like-minded individuals older than I but I was able to tap into who I truly desired to be as a woman away from my nest.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment